Learn Norwegian part 3

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Ok, Norwegian tutorial time!

Anyway, if you think Norsk is an easy language, think again. I´ve been living here for 3 and a half years and although I feel comfortable speaking the language, I find myself baffled sometimes with the new words or expressions I encounter. :) Anyway, learning is a life long process. So deal with it. :)


Here are some expressions/ words:

1. Tørr bak i øret - yeah, if you see the translation, word for word, below, it´s easy to interpret it as it is, that is literally. But to be ¨tørr bak i øret¨ simply means being old. (person)
 
     tørr- dry
     bak - behind, back
      i -  in
     øret - the ear

2. holde i sjakk, for example, holde det i sjakk - Again, it does´t make any sense? Hold it in chess? haha but on a serious note, to "holde i sjakk" means to keep (something) under control.


   holde - hold, keep
   det - it
   i - in
   sjakk - chess

3. svart i øye  -  this one is easy! it´s a black eye! yeah, it can be...however, this expression is fun to use figuratively. :) Whenever someone says he or she is "start i øyet¨, it means that that person so immensely irritated or enraged to the point that you can "see" or read it in his/her eyes the anger cooking inside them.

    svart - black
     i - in
    øyet - the eye


Anyway, I hope you guys learned something here. :)

2 comments:

Andy said...

Hi Rosanne! Ako yung nagemail sayo, si Joan haha! I had fun reading your blog. Binasa ko simula 2009. Very informative and funny din! I enjoyed reading about your experiences dyan sa Norway. Good luck and may you please continue blogging about your life in Norway! I'm sure maraming Pinoy nurses ang natutuwa sa blog mo!

Good luck with work! God bless!

Unknown said...

Hello Andy! Thanks for posting a comment here. Yeah! Kamusta na? I hope nga at makatulong tong blog na to sa mga nurses jan. :)